Hey folks this is a Movie Critic blog. It is run by Troy Mendenhall, Chris Daley and Jake Gifford. We will critique and rate movies as we see them. Feel free to leave comments about movies that you have seen and we will continue those conversations. This is for those who love movies and who want to know if some movies are worth seeing. Let your friends know about us and keep coming back.

Chris-let me just start off by saying that i have such a passionate and sincere love of movies. And i critque them enough with Jake and Troy that the next logical step would be too rate movies online. i as a movie critic vow to give evr movie i am reviewing a fair chance. i will study and watch related movies in the series. and will give my unbiased and biased opinion on each movie. also feel free to post if you agree or just wanna argue. i am quite good at arguing. thanks for following!

Alright this is Jake. I run this website with my good buddy Chris and my cousin Troy. I have a history of making movies that has given me the experience to know what makes a quality movie. I am also a huge fan of entertainment. I look at movies from a couple of different perspectives, 1) The quality of the movie, like the storyline, script, acting quality, cinematography, etc. 2) I look at the "entertainment" factor. The "Flash, Bang, Boom" of a movie, which can sometimes make up for the lack of good film making. I'm gonna rate the movies that I watch on both criteria and then do the combination of both. I am going to review all the new movies I see from now on, I will also do retro-rating for movies that have already come out. Here's to some Great movies.

Oye Gents and Lassies! Troy here . . shall I start by saying what a privilege it is being invited by Jake and Chris (2 of the coolest guys around) to have a part in this epic blog. Like Chris I like to debate and think I'm pretty decent at it - and like Jake I've made movies myself and have also learned to critique movies pretty much exactly how Jake explained. . nuff said about that . . Movies are my passion, watching AND making. My wife loves watching movies with me but she doesn't always like talking about the movies like I do - unless it's one she absolutely loves. This blog is such an amazing thing for someone like me who wouldn't really find the time to blog about anything else, not even myself. :)

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Shutter Island :By Chris


I wanna start off by apologizing to Leonardo Dicaprio for all those years I called him a wiener and a sissy. That little kid i watched grow up on Growing Pains is actually a lot older than I am, and became a dang good actor. Baby face or no his movies have been gold for the last 10 years. and Shutter Island is no different. Dicaprio basically put on a one man show in this motion picture, and the amazing Martin Scorsese directed this with a unique vision.
When i pictured my ticket for the film, the woman at the counter gave me a warning "be careful, this is the scariest movie i have ever seen, Our projectionist had to leave his booth because he was too scared to finish the movie"... I believe the next words out of my mouth were "BOOYA GRANDMA!" I was pumped!! which now brings me to my one complaint about the movie, it was not scary enough. There are parts that made your skin crawl, made you think and made you jump out of your seat. But a scary movie it is not. What it is ladies and gentlemen is one of the best thrillers i have ever seen. Not since Alfred Hitchcock has anyone made a movie like this. Scorsese almost managed to mimic Hitchcock from the creepy music, to the position of the camera in a shot. I do believe "hitchcockian" is actually a word we can use now ( thank you Urban dictionary.com)
The movie itself develops itself in such a solid way you don't even know its happening. Even the island and the Asylum feel like characters in the movie. You get the feeling that something is going on here, and everyone is in on it. It pulls you in and gives you subtle clues to figure out the conspiracy for yourself. When the ending is finally revealed you are either blown away , or you were smart enough to figure it out. either way its still more than satisfying. And the ending leaves it for you to decide and makes you think. Now i know there are plenty of people out there who hate endings that make you think (oh don't make me think i just wanna be entertained-Ben stiller in Dodge Ball) but i for one love a smart film that has you draw the conclusions for yourself. I couldn't recommend Shutter Island enough, and i am excited to see what the rest of the movies in 2010 has to offer.
Shutter Island - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment