Hey folks this is a Movie Critic blog. It is run by Troy Mendenhall, Chris Daley and Jake Gifford. We will critique and rate movies as we see them. Feel free to leave comments about movies that you have seen and we will continue those conversations. This is for those who love movies and who want to know if some movies are worth seeing. Let your friends know about us and keep coming back.

Chris-let me just start off by saying that i have such a passionate and sincere love of movies. And i critque them enough with Jake and Troy that the next logical step would be too rate movies online. i as a movie critic vow to give evr movie i am reviewing a fair chance. i will study and watch related movies in the series. and will give my unbiased and biased opinion on each movie. also feel free to post if you agree or just wanna argue. i am quite good at arguing. thanks for following!

Alright this is Jake. I run this website with my good buddy Chris and my cousin Troy. I have a history of making movies that has given me the experience to know what makes a quality movie. I am also a huge fan of entertainment. I look at movies from a couple of different perspectives, 1) The quality of the movie, like the storyline, script, acting quality, cinematography, etc. 2) I look at the "entertainment" factor. The "Flash, Bang, Boom" of a movie, which can sometimes make up for the lack of good film making. I'm gonna rate the movies that I watch on both criteria and then do the combination of both. I am going to review all the new movies I see from now on, I will also do retro-rating for movies that have already come out. Here's to some Great movies.

Oye Gents and Lassies! Troy here . . shall I start by saying what a privilege it is being invited by Jake and Chris (2 of the coolest guys around) to have a part in this epic blog. Like Chris I like to debate and think I'm pretty decent at it - and like Jake I've made movies myself and have also learned to critique movies pretty much exactly how Jake explained. . nuff said about that . . Movies are my passion, watching AND making. My wife loves watching movies with me but she doesn't always like talking about the movies like I do - unless it's one she absolutely loves. This blog is such an amazing thing for someone like me who wouldn't really find the time to blog about anything else, not even myself. :)

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Inglorious Basterds or No Country for Old Men: Which movie was worse






























Jake: No Country for Old Men
Neither of these movies were great, but No Country for Old Men was much worse. It had the hardest story to follow, disconnected characters, horrid cinematography/scene progression, and most of all it was BORING!!! The scene progression is what bothered me the most about the movie, it is what made the story difficult to follow. It reminded me a lot of the movie Flags of our Fathers, there is no logical progression that made the story flow. Kinda like random bits put together, to make confusing fodder (I finally used fodder in a sentence and it made sense :). There is no established "good" guy and "bad" guy, which is interesting, but it adds to the confusion. When the main character dies it is very anti-climatic. It gives no background on the people that kill him, or how they found his wife. I never got connected to any character, I couldn't care less if any of them were killed or if they lived. This is all a sign of poor film making. I have been told how awesome the creepy guys silenced shotgun and air-gun were, but him an his weapons both let me down. Overall this movie was a snoozer. It is a great example of a bad movie that got far more praise than it was worth, and it is a black mark on the Academy that it won any awards at all.
Chris: Inglorious basterds
Now this is what were all about. Two critically acclaimed movies, that neither of us thought was very good. Now this topic right here is based off of an actual conversation that Jake and I had were we compared to two filmed and got into a heated argument of which movie SUCKED more! I picked Inglorious Basterds, and here is my reason why. Now i am not some action movie junkie who is easily pleased by explosions, hot women, and slow motion sequences ( that was a stab at you Michael bay you loser!) but when i had saw the previews for inglorious basterds i was expecting a fun fast paced movie. But as we all know by now its not anywhere near that description. the dialogue in this film is lengthy, monotonous, and down right unnecessary. I will never get the time back in my life when i had to watch a Nazi party and drinking games. that took FORTY FIVE MINUTES!! only to have them all die. The action is few and far between. and the characters are all unlikeable. Even the movies strong point, the very well played villain Col. Hans Lander portrayed by Christoph Waltz. In an almost Hannibal Lecter like fashion. Ends up betraying his own Nazi's for money. Now lets a look back at the great villains in cinema history, All are very dedicated to there cause, and develop and almost intimate relationship with the movies protagonist. This movie did not have that. I wish i had four hands so i could give this movie 4 thumbs down!

1 comment:

  1. So I haven't seen No Country for Old Men, but after reading Jake's critique and knowing that Jake and I have very similar taste in movies I don't think I will.
    I did however see Inglorious Basterds . . and hated it. I agree with everything Chris said. Such a lame movie - posterized Brad Pitt and you barely saw him. . It was more centered around that Jewish woman whose family was killed in the beginning. Not a good movie, Quentin Terantino should have done better.

    -Troy

    ReplyDelete